Wednesday 17 June 2009

Moving Forward


My friend E & I are jewellery making addicts, as you've probably guessed. We work together and in lunch hours or quiet moments apart from discussing our boyfriends, we discuss jewellery making.

We both started making jewellery about 2, maybe even 3 years ago when we found a local class held in a bead shop in Portsmouth. We had both been moaning about the lack of classes available when one saturday morning I got an excitable voice at the end of the phone saying we were booked in for a two hour basic. That's where it all started....... We did two classes and then we were away. As I said, the class was held in a shop where hundreds of strands of glass & semi precious beads and stones were hanging, just like an aladdins' cave.

E & I have gone on different paths as far as design is concerned. She likes big & brash stones, wild colour mixes wheras I prefer smaller stones, perhaps a little bit more classic designs. But we both have a love for swarovski crystals which sparkle in the sunshine.

With all this in mind, you can imagine that we've both aquired a huge amount of stock of beads and stones and at the beginning we always said we would make for ourselves but this just doesn't make sense anymore. How much jewellery can one woman wear??? E has also gone down the path of glass bead making herself after we went on a days tutorial where I have gone into silversmithing & my current fad is chain mailling.

So......a drum roll please, I invite you to welcome my new creation, Dragonfly Jewellery Designs. I will shortly be setting up my Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/ for your perusal. This is exciting and scary at the same time, and it is way past time!


And the name, well I just love Dragonflys. I have one tattooed on my left shoulder and it was the first thing I made in my silversmithing class. G also bought me a beautiful Lalique glass one when we were in Las Vegas. And just check out this fab enamelled vase, from Fred Rich Enamel Designs. Oh yes, it will be mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment