Monday 15 June 2009

A Different Type of Wedding


G & I have just been to the most wonderful wedding. Whilst it was a bit of a trek from Southsea/Hamble to Newington Green it was all worth while.
The happy couple were officially married in a civil service a few weeks ago but decided that wanted something sacred to bond them together. The bride has a local Unitatian Chapel where the wedding blessing was held. It's very small and intimate. What struck me the most was that there was no cross or any religous icons but I could tell it was a place of faith.

The bride & groom met at the Altar, where the priest/vicar/religious man oversaw their vows. There were no hymns but there was a poetry reading and an opera singer sang 3 powerful arias. There was no traditional photographs but we were all shepherded to the reception and greeted with sparkling wine and canapes.
The buffet was magnificent! Lobster, oysters, crab, beef, venison, salads, breads, bitter chocolate tart, strawberries and wine.....bottles and bottles of wine! During the whole afternoon and evening live music played, all forms of jazz.

G & I fell into a cab at 11.30pm and managed to get the train home, falling into bed at about 2am

It really was the most wonderful wedding. There were certain formalities upheld such as the speeches but the biggest thing I felt was a warmth from the guests. I have only met the bride & groom once before but I was welcomed as a friend. I even had a dance with the bride's uncle! Man, did we cut a rug!! And most of the guests were dressed in the most vibrant of clothing. I admit, it was hard not to stare at the green hair and the yellow fishnet pop socks.
I should have know it was going to be a great day as it started with getting on the train to find an old lady with a budgie in a cage. The budgie sang the whole way there and was far from a disturbance. She even fed him a crisp through the bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment