Thursday 2 July 2009

How to get ideas?

I've been a busy bee this week, frantically trying to make things to put on my new Etsy shop. But it's really difficult to suddenly come up with ideas on demand. Quite often ideas come to me whilst relaxing in the bath or sitting in the garden, just generally daydreaming about beads....like you do! So far I have made 6 items to sell. That doesn't sound very much but I am trying to make things that I like, that I would be happy to wear, which also includes making sure the findings look good and fit well; jump rings that are closed properly and things generally look of a good quality. All too often I see hand made jewellery which looks un-professional and cheap. Handmade can be quirky and is the main reason people buy it but that doesn't mean you have to skimp on quality of finishing. My biggest nightmare scenario is that people will look at my items to sell and will say, 'oooh, look at those rubbishy jump rings' or words to that effect. Ok, so I'm not going to hear it but it will speak volumes if nothing sells.

I've also tried to get my head around photographing my items. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere on Etsy but looking at other sellers I've noticed that items in bright natural daylight look better than just rested on a laminate desk. I've been taking some photos of my existing jewellery to form a gallery so that I can look back and be proud of what I've done but also use it as a catalogue for ideas for the future. The pictures featured today are some things I made back in the beginning of my beading journey, and it's amazing to see how far I've come. I'm so much better at it now but I guess that just comes from practice. So be kind, and ignore the dust!If this all fails, I can at least say I had some fun making some jewellery and I can wear all my additional pieces. Hmmm, how about wearing all my chain maille items and doing my best Mr T impression? Fool!

No comments:

Post a Comment