Wednesday 8 July 2009

They're here, they're here!!


Hooray, I'm so excited!!

Sorry to disappoint you if you thought it was a minor celeb or aliens from Mars but finally my petite jump rings have arrived from Texas. The reason I'm so excited is that I really struggled to get the size that I wanted so I could make the elusive byzantine bracelet I've been desperate to create. So difficult to get, I had to get a custom order from a lovely couple called Ralph & Karen, who also gave me some fab advice too. I love you guys.

So, what's so special about this byzantine bracelet, I hear you ask. Well, to some, not much really but for me it the relisation of a beading dream. I saw one of these bracelets on Etsy and just fell in love with it! I couldn't work out how they had managed to get the rings to twist and turn. I found the an online tutorial and with some very inferior rings I tried to do it. I tried, and I tried, and I tried until one day I threw it across the room. I couldn't work out why I couldn't do it.


But now I know why I couldn't. Essentially, the technique I was doing was correct but the rings were the wrong guage size. In lay mans term, the wire wasn't thick enough to hold the shape.

In some ways, I'm a bit disappointed in how easy I'm finding it to construct. I expected it to be much fiddlier (is that a proper word?) So after getting this done I'm going to do another one, but this time in silver, as a special gift for me for hanging on in there.

Can't wait til E is back to work tomorrow so I can show (off) her all the things I've made whilst she's been away, like the Breaking Waves bracelet (above). I made a beautiful set called Delicate Darkness which was baby tourmaline rondelles with black ceramic beads but I managed to fall in love with it so had to keep it myself. G told me off, saying that wasn't the way to get things made. I also custom made and sold a pair of orange Tropical Trumpets to Melissa who works across the hall from me!
Hey ho, off we go for some more jump ring jinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment