Monday 3 August 2009

Glorious Goodwood

The racing at Goodwood on the July course is the highlight of their racing season. I've been twice before (not this event though), once where is rained solidly all day and another time viewing from the restaurant. On this occasion I have never seen so many people crammed in.
The weather all week had been very poor, as in pouring with rain! And I was concerned that it wasn't going to be a nice day out but the morning bought sunshine which lasted all day.

G & I managed to miss the turning, which was completely my fault. It's not far from where I live and I just assumed I knew the way. But we got there where people were pushing and shoving to get in, almost killing themselves by crossing the road in front of moving buses and cars. It was all a bit mental!
Ladies day was the day before so I was really surprised to see so many ladies in vibrant hats, very, very high heels and beautiful dresses. Fortunately I had made some sort of effort and didn't feel completely out of place.
The first race we couldn't see because we decided to go to the top of the Grandstand but there were just too many people. We found a more suitable viewing spot for the rest of the day. G placed his bets with the bookies but I took the more restrained approach by betting on the tote. We both had 2 wins in the day, but his bet paid 4/1 where the mean tote only paid 2.5/1 :-( The first rule of gambling is to never change your mind on who you're going to bet on. I broke this rule to my own cost and missed out on a 9/1 winner! Drat!

But we had a lovely day, drove home with the top down on the car and realised we both had managed to get sunburnt!

No comments:

Post a Comment